Halloween Happenings

'Tis the season for enjoying the hydrangeas because guess what, it's almost time for them to freeze and die. Although a hot, dry summer prevented our bushes from being overcome with blooms, we've still be able to enjoy a few beauties. This one we enjoyed by cutting and having inside with us while my parents were here. At least it got its glory moment on the blog first.
*** 
Remember our sweet little home grown pumpkin from around Zane's birthday? We kept it safe in the fridge for a long while, but around the middle of October I decided to try and be festive by putting it out on our front porch. The next morning I looked outside and was met by this:
 Gasp! Little pumpkin, what happened? Who took all your guts?!
 Poor, poor little pumpkin! Later, Soren (and Gramps) found the culprit:
Stinkin' squirrels!  Who knew that the seeds they stock up on for the winter come from their friendly human neighbors' innocent homegrown pumpkins!?!?! 
Grrr.
It took me awhile to get another pumpkin, and even longer to carve it and put it outside. But we'll get to that in a minute. First, there was the mid-Halloween-week ward trunk or treat. 
Funny story of that day: For weeks (months! years!), Soren has been wanting to be Luigi for Halloween. Luigi Luigi Luigi. No one could get a word in otherwise. My wonderful mom found a green shirt, overalls, and a green hat at the DI last month, and we've been practicing almost daily. Well, Wednesday morning rolls around (trunk or treat is Wednesday night) and I'm at the gym kids club, making conversation with our favorite babysitter. She asks me what Soren is going to be for Halloween, and I decide to let him answer. "Hey Soren," I say. "Tell Donna what you're going to be for Halloween!" He ponders for a bit then exclaims, "INJA CAT!"
?!?!?
"An inside cat?" I asked, dumbfounded. Donna giggled, then told me that there had been a new episode of a new show on the TV just minutes before where the guest character was, you guessed it, a ninja cat.
And that was the end of Luigi.
I was feeling okay about it, knowing we had some kitty ears and a ninja shirt, but come on, we'd waited so long for Luigi! Still, whenever asked that day, Soren demanded he be "INJA CAT!" Sigh.
Well, as we were all getting ready to go that night, we brought up the idea of drawing whiskers onto the nose of our little ninja cat. And for whatever reason, that ended his day-long obsession. "No whiskers!!!!! No INJA cat!!!!!" (Emotions were high by this time, hence the !!!!!!)
 Luigi, so happy to see you! Kinda ironic too, as I pinned him down and gave him a mustache anyway. He screamed. I apologized and pretended to wipe it away. But I left it. You're welcome.
So, we have Luigi, Princess Pickles, an injured triathlete, and a baseball player. Later, someone told B he looked pretty comfy. "Yes, I am." 
 ***
Now, fast forward to Halloween day. Z had a birthday party until 3, Annie had Nutcracker practice, and so it was more like 4pm when we FINALLY (finally!) sat down to carve our pumpkin.
First mistake: only buying one pumpkin. Second mistake: cutting too small of a hole in the top of said sole pumpkin. Who knew there could be such a rough start to pumpkin carving?
 So sure, Annie's eyes have some residual tell-all signs of how it all started, but in the end, we came up with one side looking just like SHE wanted:
 And the other as HE preferred:
While Z was working (and working and working) on his side, he complimented me: "Mom, I really like how you've gotten into the Halloween spirit, what with this pumpkin and those great decorations outside. You're really stepping it up!" Annie and I had put up green spider webs from Gigi just that morning. So maybe I was a bit late to the party, but I was there, people! Just ask my kid!
One more detail: Zane LOVED carving his own pumpkin. He was tentative at first, then steadier, then a complete fang-and-mouth expert by the end. So there you go, I'm glad we did it.  And I'm glad there's another full year until we have to go through it all again.
 After the pumpkin, the kids and B snuck over to Publix for games and treats while I made dinner. B's cruiser just got fixed (for 28 cents! after sitting for almost a year! a story for another day), so he was more than happy to drive his little people over there and back.
 And finally (it seemed like a really long day, didn't it?) it was time for real trick or treating. Well, Soren was over it. The costume came {mostly} off and although he did well for this picture, he was asleep for the night about 30 minutes later. Z and A went with these friends and their mom (our walk home from school buddies all last year), visiting from their new home in Georgia. I passed out candy. B worked.
Is it over?! Phew! Until next year!

Comments

walt or jean said…
All these things will give you experience. You are a great mom.
ash said…
Way to really get into it this year! I LOVE your stories - INJA CAT! Two faced pumpkin! And of course, always keeping it real. Love you, lady!

Popular Posts