New Walking Adventures

I think spring has finally busted out here in SC, with temps jumping into the 80s this afternoon. I could not be more thrilled. The idea of not shivering whenever I step outside makes me finally want to, well, spend time outside. My older children complained about how hot it was today. But Soren's all about the outside time. He's been pushed around this neighborhood in the BOB for months now, and he's ready to explore--on foot!
 Sure, he's happy to play in the yard for awhile. But then he sneaks closer to the road and I can tell he's ready to make a move. Lately, instead of pulling him back to the safety of our driveway and yard over and over, I've just been following him up or down the street...and beyond.
 Once given the okay to explore, he RUNS.  Arms outstretched behind him like he's taking off into flight, he pitter patter pitter patters, looks back to make sure I'm still coming along, then pitter patters once again. Unless a car is coming, at which point he beelines it back to me, then waves until the car passes and all is quiet again. Then he's off and running. Today he led Annie and me down the street, through the nature path, up the big hill, and onto school property (about a half mile away), all the while grunting and pointing at important things along the journey.
Once on the path behind the school, he played his new game (chuck the hat, retrieve the hat, repeat) until we reached the playground.
Oh, the playground. The promised land.
 And that, dear readers, is when this little guy ran out of steam. Climbed and slid until it all. slowed. down. and. he. got. very. tired. 
Trying to get him to walk by himself on our way back home got harder,
 and harder,
 and harder.
I'm hopeful all this walking will finally be what gets him to sleep through the night regularly. You hope too, ok?

Comments

walt or jean said…
The anatomy of a little boy walking: precious! The fact that he is your little boy makes it even more heart warming. Hope we can keep up.
Tina said…
So so so funny. I love the how the pics show the progression- beauty.
wyomingmom said…
I love it. Soren is so so cute and BRAVE. But I must know. Did he make it home on his own? Did he sleep all night? Has he gone exploring again?

Popular Posts