Quilt for Baby J

Almost exactly a month ago (wait, what day is it? I think it may be exact, actually) we gained a family member.  Sweet little Jackson Eric joined an adoring Lolo, plus some sweet parents who my parents like best I think because they haven't chosen to move across the country like the rest of us yahoos. :)
I had been given this quilt top by my most creative, crafty friend this summer (so all the pieces were sewn together and all I had to do, ahem, was all the hand sewing and the binding to finish it), but of course I couldn't get myself in gear to finish it off until baby J was actually here in the flesh. He came, I quilted. The rest is history.
 Hobbies (time for hobbies, really) come and go, don't they? We're in to things, then we're out of things. I know sewing and quilting came to me at a much needed time in Florida, but I hadn't felt the urge or desire to bust everything out again/take the time to be creative/take the time to do anything extra really since my own sweet babe was born 19 months ago. I'm very thankful, therefore, for this sweet baby boy. He rekindled the flame, and since doing this quilt I've enjoyed many additional hours re-looking at my stash, re-imagining fun projects, and even busting a few quickies out (pillows!). It feels great to be doing something creative like this again.   
It's the teensiest quilt, actually, probably will work best while he's this little, then will seemingly shrink and shrink as he grows and grows. But the fabric is so soft (organic even, swoon) and the little stitches are so fun to create, and during the whole process I could think of my brother and his sweet little family and be happy. 
 (Allieoopes, it's the official throwback to the fancy "mer.made" motif--I'll use it forever, thank your sister again for me.)
Yay for teensy quilts too, because guess what, they're still a lot of work and you sigh with relief when the sandwich is sufficiently hand sewn together and the binding is made and sewn on and it comes out of the wash just a little crinkly.
Happy sighs. I like those.


Comments

Tina said…
Pretty fab! The handsewing look awesome!
wyomingmom said…
Sweet Baby! Delightful quilt.
wyomingmom said…
Sweet Baby! Delightful quilt.
wyomingmom said…
Sweet Baby! Delightful quilt.